Monday, August 3, 2009

May God bless our teachers


I can't believe that time is just around the corner but school will soon be back in swing in just a few weeks. I decided to make a little "welcome, back!" card using this digital image from Digital Stamp Oasis. I colored over the message that was on the board, and added a new message with a white gel pen. I think that using plaid gave me a flash to the past to a new school dress my mother made me for one of those first day of school events, and I also had a Scottish plaid lunchbox that my grandfather handpainted my name on (one of his many talents was a sign painter). And I mean he put the whole full name on it which had to go diagonally from one corner to the other: Elizabeth Ann Austin. Just traveling down memory lane. As a retired public school teacher, what joy it is to not have to deal with those first day situations that I'm sure every kindergarten teacher across the country has to face. My greatest fear was always getting a kid on the wrong bus to go home. What a nightmare!!!God bless all you teachers who are already hard at work getting those classrooms ready. No one really knows how much of your time and your own money are tied up in that classroom. Hope you are blessed with a wonderful year!

3 comments:

Joanne (jojot) said...

you and me, gal.....we retired public school teachers can sure appreciate the efforts that go in to the begiinning of a new school year......cute card

by the way, I didn't have a Scotch plaid lunch box, but the family had Scotch plaid Thermoses and Food Storage Tims that went to the beach with us on the weekends...ours were in the traditional red plaid....with a tan edge and handle....

Joan Ervin said...

What a darling image, Liz...I sooo admire and appreciate all the public school teachers!!! I don't know how you kept your sanity all those years...I taught nursing clinicals at UMHB for a few years after I retired the first time from management. I loved the adult students who were eager to learn and really wanted to make a difference. I was tooooo chicken to be in a room full of 5 year olds all day...heeheee!!!!! Oh, btw, we had the red plaid thermos, too!!

Susan said...

oh what a treasure our teachers are in our lives! Thanks for the reminder, Liz and I love the plaid those lunchboxes were! cute image and I like how you made it work for you.